WELCOME TO JIM'S AUTISM BLOG





Hi everyone and thanks for visiting our blog. My wife and I created this blog to chronicle our experience while raising a son with Asperger's syndrome. Since our son was diagnosed with an ASD at age 5, we've had a lot of questions. Lucky for us we have a great support network in place. And our blog gives us an opportunity to share what we've learned with our readers. We hope you find our blog informative and interesting. Thanks again for visiting.


"It seems that for success in science and art, a dash of autism is essential." Dr Hans Asperger 1906-1980



Monday 16 January 2012

ASPERGER'S LOVES ROUTINE PART 2

This morning was Jacob's first time in a couple years with a new EA.  And surprisingly things went pretty well.  In Part 1, I discussed our concerns over the change at school, but as it turns out, Jacob is more capable of change then we thought.

As I stood in the cold (about -2C) waiting for Jacob to emerge from the school, I was praying that he had a good morning.  When Jacob came through the big double doors smiling, it was a huge relief.  His new EA gave him a "thumbs up" which to us means he had a good morning.  I then asked Jacob about his day and he said "It was good, but I have lots of homework."  Jacob often has homework, so we're accustomed to that, but Jacob can't seem to explain how much and also his idea of size is hard to gauge.  Sometimes he says he has lots when he has only a small amount and sometimes he says he has a little bit when he has a substantial amount.  So I inquired further and asked him what exactly does he have for homework?  Jacob then replied "I'm not telling you dad, you'll have to wait and see."  What a laugh.

Over lunch I told Jacob that he should try and catch up on his homework, with the help of his regular EA.  Jacob of coursed said he would and I believe he will complete some of his homework this afternoon.  Undoubtedly, he'll have some homework to finish tonight, but that's okay.  When you consider I was waiting for a phone call from the school to come pick Jacob up, I'm glad he only has homework.  I'll take that trade any day.


No comments:

Post a Comment