WELCOME TO JIM'S AUTISM BLOG





Hi everyone and thanks for visiting our blog. My wife and I created this blog to chronicle our experience while raising a son with Asperger's syndrome. Since our son was diagnosed with an ASD at age 5, we've had a lot of questions. Lucky for us we have a great support network in place. And our blog gives us an opportunity to share what we've learned with our readers. We hope you find our blog informative and interesting. Thanks again for visiting.


"It seems that for success in science and art, a dash of autism is essential." Dr Hans Asperger 1906-1980



Tuesday 24 January 2012

A SIGN OF THINGS TO COME?

So it's our first day back to school after a long weekend.  Monday was a P.D. day for us and it was nice to have the extra day to relax.  Today started out on the positive side.  Jacob was smiling and happy when he awoke, he ate all his breakfast and everything seemed to be heading in the right direction.  Then I called Jacob upstairs to get ready for school.  "I'm not coming up and I'm not going to school!!!"  I don't know what caused this or any of his other outbursts for that matter.  We just try to remain calm (which can be difficult) and help encourage Jacob to get over the bump.  Luckily for us Jacob quickly calmed down and got ready for school.  What a way to start a week, even though Jacob told us he'd do all his work and behave in class, we know that if Jacob has a rough start to his day, then the rest of the day will usually follow suit.

But today was different, as is everyday with Asperger's.  Jacob had a fantastic morning.  He emerged from his school with a huge grin from ear to ear.  "I did all my work!"  He shouted.  It's strange because, it seems as though all the other parents waiting for their children, know Jacob.  And as such, I wasn't the only parent happy with Jacob's morning.  It seems that all the other parents were happy about his day too.  "Hooray" and "Way to go."  They said.  We are so happy and surprised that Jacob had a productive morning when we consider how it started.

That's the interesting thing about Asperger's isn't it?  Jacob is so far from the norm, that he's always surprising us.  Maybe children with Asperger's are luckier than we think.  I know, that when I wake up cranky, my day is usually gray and I'm not much fun to be around.  But Jacob seems to have the ability to turn it around at a moments notice.  He has a much better ability to leave things in the past and let things go, than I do.  As I sit here typing, Jacob is enjoying a peanut butter sandwich, drinking milk and laughing while watching the Price is Right.  Hopefully, his afternoon goes as smoothly as his morning did.

 Sunflower : sunflower

No comments:

Post a Comment