WELCOME TO JIM'S AUTISM BLOG





Hi everyone and thanks for visiting our blog. My wife and I created this blog to chronicle our experience while raising a son with Asperger's syndrome. Since our son was diagnosed with an ASD at age 5, we've had a lot of questions. Lucky for us we have a great support network in place. And our blog gives us an opportunity to share what we've learned with our readers. We hope you find our blog informative and interesting. Thanks again for visiting.


"It seems that for success in science and art, a dash of autism is essential." Dr Hans Asperger 1906-1980



Friday 20 January 2012

A SPELLING TEST? PART 2

Well it's Friday.  Jacob's school has a P.D. day on Monday, so we're being treated to a long weekend.  And believe me, we need it.  Jacob's had an average week at school.  His behaviour wasn't bad, but it wasn't that good either.  Jacob received on his calendar:

   4 OUT OF 10 STARS

Now 4/10 isn't that great, but when you factor in the EA change, we expected this week to be rougher than usual.  4/10 is good when you consider that kids with Asperger's usually resist change.  And many excel with a more rigid structure. 

Today when I went to pick Jacob up from school, I took it upon myself to report right to his class before my assistance was requested.  Something told me to just go in.  At lunch when we went back, I told Jacob's afternoon EA that he refused his spelling test and I then asked for her help in trying to get Jacob to complete it.  Well, he didn't complete it.  Nor, did he complete his math or science work this afternoon.  In fact, he didn't do any work in class at all.  In Jacob's school journal, it read that Jacob was in the coatroom for over an hour refusing to do any work.  Even the learning resource teacher couldn't get Jacob to comply with doing his test/work. 

Once we were going home Jacob promised me that he'd do all his home work right away when we got home.  And guess what?  He did his math, science and spelling test within 15 minutes of his arrival home.  We don't know why Jacob just won't do his work in class.  It's so simple for him to complete as he demonstrates when he finally does it at home.  I hope Jacob doesn't become a procrastinator and apply the "I'll do it later" attitude to all facets of his life.  We're just glad that his rebellion ends on school property.  Lucky for us, Jacob is usually pretty compliant with us when it comes to doing his homework.

Shannon and I talked about the change of EA's and how Jacob has been affected.  Before the change his behaviour was the same, but he was getting less and less home work, which was great progress for a child with Asperger's.  In spite of this week, we agreed that 1 week isn't enough to properly gauge Jacob's acceptance, nor was it enough time for us to voice our concerns to the school.  We've agreed that Jacob is going to need at least another week to learn to cope with the change of EAs.  There is a plus side to this week however.  At least Jacob won't have home work on Monday.





Why didn't you do your work in class Jacob?  "I feel like I'm losing control of the whole world."

No comments:

Post a Comment