So the first half of 2012 is almost over. Our son Jacob was diagnosed with Asperger's at age 6 and since he/we enjoy the Nintendo DS so much, we often get Jacob new games to try out. And we've bought roughly 20 Nintendo DS games so far this year. Here is a list of Jacob's top 5 DS games so far this year.
Please Note: Not all of these games were released this year (2012), they were only purchased by us this year.
5. Hasbro Family Game Night - This is a fantastic game for everyone, not just kids. We're big fans of games like this because there's more than 1 game to enjoy while playing it. This game has 4 classic games on it. Connect 4, Battleship, Operation and Bop It. Jacob's favourite is Bop It and we love to watch him play it.
4. Monster Tale - This game is cool as it lets you raise and develop your own monster which you can use to battle against friends. But it's not only a raising game, there's also an adventure game in it too. This is a great game with lots of play time.
3. I Spy Game Pack - We originally purchased I Spy Fun House, but now they have a multi game pack available. It comes with I Spy Fun House and Universe in the same game. Not only are these games challenging, but they also teach kids new words like spigot and conch shell. They also have riddles and puzzles that give a break from the search and find aspect of the game.
2. Zuma's Revenge - This is a cool game. You have to shoot coloured balls with a frog at a snake that is made up of multi coloured balls. You have to match groups of 3 colours within the snake in order to shrink it down. It's also timed so you have to be quick before the snake gets into your home base. The games has power ups, over 60 bosses and daily online challenges.
1. Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride - My son loves the Dragon Quest series period. And the idea of catching and using monsters in your party is a fantastic idea. Now you can make game changing decisions that will affect the outcome of each game. You can also try the multiple mini games if you need a break from all the monster battling. There's literally over 100 hours of play time in this game, so you'll definitely get your money's worth.
So there it is. Jacob's Top 5 Nintendo DS games for the first half of 2012. The best part is all of these games were $20 except for Dragon Quest V which was $40 as a new release. I've also recently read that the 3DS is getting a make over which will give it 2 larger screens, so we're considering a possible purchase. That way, Jacob will be able to play all the 3DS only games. No matter which game you pick, any child will enjoy any of these games, and honestly, so will you, so don't be afraid to try them when your kids aren't looking.
Be sure to check out our other lists of Nintendo DS games.
TOP 10 NINTENDO DS GAMES FOR KIDS WITH AUTISM/ASPERGER'S
5 MORE NINTENDO DS GAMES FOR KIDS WITH AUTISM/ASPERGER'S
TOP 5 LEGO DS GAMES FOR KIDS WITH AUTISM/ASPERGER'S
WELCOME TO JIM'S AUTISM BLOG
Hi everyone and thanks for visiting our blog. My wife and I created this blog to chronicle our experience while raising a son with Asperger's syndrome. Since our son was diagnosed with an ASD at age 5, we've had a lot of questions. Lucky for us we have a great support network in place. And our blog gives us an opportunity to share what we've learned with our readers. We hope you find our blog informative and interesting. Thanks again for visiting.
"It seems that for success in science and art, a dash of autism is essential." Dr Hans Asperger 1906-1980