WELCOME TO JIM'S AUTISM BLOG





Hi everyone and thanks for visiting our blog. My wife and I created this blog to chronicle our experience while raising a son with Asperger's syndrome. Since our son was diagnosed with an ASD at age 5, we've had a lot of questions. Lucky for us we have a great support network in place. And our blog gives us an opportunity to share what we've learned with our readers. We hope you find our blog informative and interesting. Thanks again for visiting.


"It seems that for success in science and art, a dash of autism is essential." Dr Hans Asperger 1906-1980



Sunday 13 January 2013

TOP 5 RETRO CARTOONS FOR KIDS WITH AN ASD

Jacobs week at school was alright by most standards.  We had a great time on his school trip to Camp Marydale on Thursday.  This week Jacob earned 5 out of 6 stickers for his reward calendar.  He did have some homework to do this weekend, but he got it done on Saturday morning.

I'm the rootinest, tootenist,
well, you get the picture.
After he finished his homework, Jacob came into our living room and asked if he could watch Teletoon Retro.  Then it occurred to me that Jacob likes watching many of the same cartoons that I did when I was a kid.  So here is Jacobs top 5 retro cartoons that he likes to watch.

5.  My Pet Monster - What's not to like about a blue monster that likes to eat garbage and scare dogs? Jacob doesn't like Beastur much because he's always mean to Monzi, but isn't that what monsters are supposed to do?

4.  Care Bears - Jacob loves the Care Bears, but he hates Shriekey the evil girl who always has something up her sleeve.  My favourite character was Ghastly because he was always messing things up.  I never liked the Care Bear cousins though.

3.  Bobby's World - I never really liked this one.  And I had forgotten that Howie Mandel did the voices for this cartoon, but I was reminded the first time Jacob saw this show.  And he loves Bobby, but he doesn't understand that Howie Mandel does their voices.  Too funny.

2.  Scooby Doo -  Who doesn't love Scooby Doo?  It's funny because when Shaggy and Scooby are scared, then Jacob gets scared. But when Jeff and the gang show up, Jacob becomes brave and insists that he knew the monster wasn't real.

1. Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show - This is the best cartoon ever made.  Everyone knows Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck just by their voices.  Even Jacob's grandparents grew up watching this show when they were kids.  It's funny because Jacob and I both have the same favourite character, Yosemite Sam.  Jacob also gets a kick out of Elmer Fudd too.

When Jacob first found channel 106 and began watching retro cartoons were thought it was great.  It's nice when a child in today's age is willing to put down the iPad, or get off the computer, to watch and old cartoon.  I don't like it when Jacob watches too much TV, but I don't mind a bit of extra time when a classic cartoon is on.

3 comments:

  1. Scooby Doo was a big favorite of mine. I also liked Bugs bunny and tweety. I remember Bobby's world when the Boy was little. I thought it was cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bobby's world just kills me. Especially at 7 in he morning before school, because his voice is just too much.

      Delete
  2. My favorite cartoon was "Scooby Doo". I hope from this five cartoon most the children vote for Scooby Doo. It was interesting cartoon series.

    Cartoons for Kids

    ReplyDelete