WELCOME TO JIM'S AUTISM BLOG





Hi everyone and thanks for visiting our blog. My wife and I created this blog to chronicle our experience while raising a son with Asperger's syndrome. Since our son was diagnosed with an ASD at age 5, we've had a lot of questions. Lucky for us we have a great support network in place. And our blog gives us an opportunity to share what we've learned with our readers. We hope you find our blog informative and interesting. Thanks again for visiting.


"It seems that for success in science and art, a dash of autism is essential." Dr Hans Asperger 1906-1980



Tuesday 16 July 2013

GOING TO THE DENTIST....AGAIN

I know Jacob only goes to the dentist every few months or so, but it seems way more often than that.  And as many of my readers know, going to the dentist can be a mega headache.  Jacobs mom and I often supervise Jacob while he brushes his teeth to ensure that he follows the "2 times, twice a day" mantra.  Because when Jacob gets a cavity, our only choice is sedation.

But as the time has gone by, Jacob has become much better at oral hygiene.  He flosses on occasion, he has his own routine that he follows, and he even rinses the sink when he's done.  Which is something that I have trouble remembering to do.

So earlier this week when the two of us went to the dentist, before it hit 100 degrees out, Jacob had one of his best visits ever.  He sat through the entire check up without much fuss, and needless to say, I couldn't be more proud.

But something very funny occurred during the visit.  Out of nowhere, Jacob sat up. Looked at the dentist and I and said

"When I grow up, I want to be a dentist."

My heart fluttered and I even almost started to tear up.  Jacob has never, and I mean never, expressed a desire to be anything, when he grew up.  Then I quickly thought about him going to college, and if I had served enough or his education.  I was literally speechless.  Then a minute later, he again sat up and said.

"Wait a minute, I have a better idea.  When I grow up, I want to be a baker!"

I couldn't stop laughing.  Jacob never ceases to amaze me with his dead pan humour.  Of course I told him that I'd support his desired career choice no matter what.  But in that instant, Jacob almost seemed like a "normal" child with hopes and dreams.  And the old sayings true, it really is a roller coaster ride being a parent.  Except that you can see the rises and falls coming.

1 comment:

  1. Well, there's something you don't see everyday: a child wanting to become a dentist after a visit! That's one way you can foster observation of good oral hygiene to your kid, so that his visits to the dentist won't be scary as other people's visits are.
    Florence Sparks @ DentistKelowna.ca

    ReplyDelete