WELCOME TO JIM'S AUTISM BLOG





Hi everyone and thanks for visiting our blog. My wife and I created this blog to chronicle our experience while raising a son with Asperger's syndrome. Since our son was diagnosed with an ASD at age 5, we've had a lot of questions. Lucky for us we have a great support network in place. And our blog gives us an opportunity to share what we've learned with our readers. We hope you find our blog informative and interesting. Thanks again for visiting.


"It seems that for success in science and art, a dash of autism is essential." Dr Hans Asperger 1906-1980



Monday 18 March 2013

THE DREADED MARCH BREAK HANGOVER

I love springtime.
The title of this post would lead some to believe that we had a rough St Patrick's day to wrap up the march break, but that's not the case.  The person with the "hangover" is Jacob.  The march break was pretty relaxing considering that the workers were here early each day.  Jacob was good for the most part, yet we didn't have any big plans thanks to the renovations.  Then this morning came.

"I hate school!"  Of course Jacobs behaviour often takes a while to get back on track after a vacation from the daily grind.  He was pretty mad at me on the way to school and he had to tell his EA why.  The issue was that I made Jacob get ready for school while he was busy watching Garfield and Friends.

Not only was Jacob mad at me for interrupting his program, but he got mad at me for another reason. Once he got dressed, I noticed a stain on one of his pant legs, so of course, I asked him to change his pants.  KABOOM. Jacob doesn't like change and asking him to switch clothing is a mega no no, but I had no choice.

Hopefully when he comes home he'll be in a better mood.  Shannie and I have also been busy completing our parenting course during our spare time.  But between new windows, a bathroom and foundation renovations, we just haven't had the time, or desire to do homework.  We still have lots of time to finish up before our next program on April 10th, which also happens to be shanties birthday.

That reminds me that this upcoming Sunday is Jacobs 9th birthday and we don't have much planned.  Jacob doesn't want a party so it looks like it'll be another quiet family get together.  Which is fine with us.  With all that's going on, I don't think we could handle a house full of kids anyway.

2 comments:

  1. I hope Jacob gets back into the swing of things quickly. My son was useless in school after spring break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard how kids get worse after a long break from school. And I was the same. I'd feel the dread on the undated before school went back. But studies have shown that kids (and adults) all need a break sometimes to recharge their batteries. Surprisingly, Jacob had a good morning. Fingers are crossed that he has a good afternoon.

      Delete